Hutchinson Central Technical High School
Course Name: English I
Instructor: Ms. Laranjo Contact Time: 8:57-9:38 Phone Ext: 1324
The Gradebook layout will align with the CCLS strands listed below. They are:
• Writing Strand – 30% of grade. All students have the option of rewriting and resubmitting any failing writing grade based on comments on the rubric in order to improve their average.
• Reading Literature Strand – 25% of grade.
• Reading for Information – 20% of grade
• Language/Grammar, Usage and Mechanics (G.U.M.) Strand – 15% of grade.
• Speaking/Listening Strand – 10% of grade.
Each student is also expected to have a separate English binder. The five sections of this binder will align to the CCLS strands, as well as the gradebook. This binder will be kept in the classroom.
Students are expected to read an independently selected book for 20 – 30 minutes (or more) every night. Getting into the habit of reading for pleasure now will greatly improve your fluency, reading comprehension, spelling, and vocabulary skills.
Any additional homework assignments will be posted to my website:
Students will focus on the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts. They include:
• Writing Standards
• Reading Standards for Literature
• Reading Standards for Informational Text
• Language Standards
• Listening and Speaking Standards
The Curriculum Framework can be accessed on the Buffalo Public School website at: